St. Petersburg Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer
Slip and fall accidents often cause serious injuries, including broken hips or other bones, sprained ankles, injured backs or spinal columns and brain injuries. Unfortunately, these accidents and injuries are common, especially among the elderly. According to data compiled by the CDC, head injuries, hip fractures, and other serious injuries from falls require hospitalization for 800,000 people per year, and three million older people get treated in hospital emergency departments each year because of falls.
The sad thing is that many of these falls would not have happened had the property owners maintained their premises the way they were supposed to. Florida law requires property owners and managers to keep their properties safe for visitors, guests, and customers and to give warnings about known dangers. When property owners and managers fail to do so, a person injured on their property because of the dangerous situation can file a premises liability claim against the negligent parties.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a slip and fall accident due to a property owner or manager’s negligence, the Dennis Hernandez slip and fall premises liability lawyers want to help you hold the negligent party responsible for what happened to you. We want to make sure you get compensated fairly and fully for the expenses, pain, suffering and losses related to your injury
What Causes Slip and Fall Accidents in St. Petersburg?
Slip and fall accidents often occur because of unsafe conditions that the property owner negligently failed to fix or warn visitors to the property about. Common causes of slip and fall injuries in the St. Petersburg area include:
- Obstructions — Items left in the aisles of supermarkets or retail stores can cause customers to trip and fall. Cords, boxes, and ladders are examples of obstructions that can cause accidents.
- Liquid on the floor — It is common for liquids to spill on the floor in supermarkets, bars and restaurants. However, the manager or owner is responsible for promptly cleaning up the spills. When liquid is allowed to remain on the floor, people can slip and fall. Water left on walkways and around pools also creates a slip hazard.
- Bad lighting — Parking lots, walkways, and areas inside and outside of hotels, restaurants, and stores must be adequately lit to be safe. When lights are broken or too dim, people can trip or slip and fall.
- Poorly maintained railings, steps, and walkways — Chipped or cracked pavement, broken steps, and loose handrails are all hazards that can make people stumble, trip and fall.
- Code violations — Owners are responsible for keeping their property compliant with industry safety standards and building codes, which apply to accessibility features, stairs, entryways, and handrails in places of business, including restaurants, stores, and hotels. Violations create hazardous conditions.
Who Can I Sue If I Am Injured in a Slip and Fall Accident in St. Petersburg?
If you or a loved one has been injured in a slip or trip and fall accident in the St. Petersburg area, you may be able to file a lawsuit against the owner or manager of the property where your accident occurred. For a successful claim, you’ll need to prove four things:
- The owner or manager had a legal duty of care towards you because, for example, you were a customer, guest, or invited visitor.
- The owner or manager failed to fulfill their duty of care. They did not use reasonable care in keeping their property safe, and they failed to keep the property free of hazards they knew about or should have known about.
- The owner or manager’s failure to fulfill their legal duty caused your accident.
- You suffered damages because of your accident injury. Damages you can be compensated for include medical bills, lost income, and pain and suffering.
Can I Receive Financial Compensation for My Slip and Fall Accident?
With help from experienced Dennis Hernandez St. Petersburg slip and fall accident lawyers, you may be able to receive substantial compensation for your slip and fall injuries. The compensation may include:
- Medical expenses, including both present and future expenses for many aspects of your medical care, such as doctors, hospitals, surgeries, medication, rehabilitation, and more.
- Lost wages, if your accident injuries affect your ability to work.
- Diminished earning capacity that will limit your income in the future.
- Physical and emotional pain and suffering and other “non-economic” damages.
- Diminished quality of life, if your injuries have impacted your ability to enjoy life.
- Other economic and non-economic damages allowed under Florida law
Contact Experienced St. Petersburg Slip and Fall Accident Attorneys
Dennis Hernandez slip and fall lawyers are committed to ensuring you get full financial compensation you deserve for your injuries. You can count on us to gather the necessary evidence to demonstrate negligence, negotiate vigorously with the other side, and show your full need for compensation.
Many Florida personal injury lawyers want to avoid going to trial, but we never back down. Our trial experience gives us leverage with insurance companies’ representatives and lawyers because they know we are prepared to take your case to trial and win.
For the support and guidance you need to win your slip and fall accident case in St. Petersburg, call us at 727.697.0000, or fill in the FREE CASE EVALUATION form on our website to get started on your case.