Port Charlotte Semi-Truck Accident Lawyer
A semi-truck will usually cause a lot more damage in a collision than a lighter vehicle. Commercial trucks are typically as much as 30 times heavier than cars and are far larger. When they crash into a car, the car’s driver and passengers may be severely or fatally injured.
Unfortunately, devastating semi-truck accidents are common. Every year, throughout the United States, about 5,000 accidents involving large trucks cause fatalities. Sad to say, Florida is one of the states that consistently has the highest number of fatal large-truck accidents.
If you recently were a victim of a semi-truck crash in Port Charlotte or anywhere in Florida, you and your family are most likely experiencing numerous adjustments and difficulties. The experienced Dennis Hernandez Port Charlotte semi-truck accident lawyers understand these difficulties and want to help in any way we can. We know we can’t change the fact that you or a loved one was seriously injured, but if someone else’s negligence cause the accident, we can help you obtain justice and get compensated fairly for your pain, suffering and losses.
To talk with an experienced truck accident lawyer about your potential case, please call us at 855-529-3366 or fill in the FREE CASE EVALUATION form on this page.
What Are the Main Causes of Port Charlotte Semi-Truck Crashes?
When you work with the experienced Dennis Hernandez Port Charlotte semi-truck accident lawyers, we will investigate the accident to find out the cause and to gather evidence showing who was at fault. We will then use this evidence to demonstrate negligence when we bring a claim against the negligent party or parties for damages on your behalf.
Our research and experience shows that the most common causes of semi-truck accidents include:
- Difficulties in driving the semi-truck. Large trucks are hard to maneuver in traffic. They have a high center of gravity and are more prone to rolling over than other smaller vehicles.
- Not leaving enough room to stop. Semi-trucks need a lot more time and space than cars do to come to a stop. A semi-truck carrying a load and going at 55 mph in good driving conditions needs 196 feet to stop, while a car needs only 133 feet. Truck drivers should leave enough space in front of them to avoid potential collisions, but often they don’t. The most common type of semi-truck crash involves the truck hitting the car in front of it.
- Fatigued drivers. Commercial truck drivers are subject to regulations that limit how long they can drive before stopping and how long their rest breaks should be. Unfortunately, employers often pressure drivers to break the law and drive longer hours than is legal or safe.
- Distracted drivers. Texting on a cell phone while driving a semi-truck makes it 23 times more likely that the truck will get into an accident.
- Problems with the semi-truck or the load. Semi-truck problems, especially brake failures, are a leading cause of truck accidents. People or companies who were negligent in manufacturing, maintaining, repairing, or inspecting the truck or its parts may be held responsible for your injuries if their negligence contributed to the accident.
- Poor conditions. Road, weather, and traffic conditions can all make an accident more likely to occur.
Most traffic accidents are caused because someone was negligent. An experienced Port Charlotte semi-truck accident lawyer can determine the cause of your accident and pinpoint who was at fault. Florida law gives you the right to seek compensation from all of the parties whose negligence caused or contributed to the crash, so a thorough investigation is important before you file a claim.
How Much Money Can I Receive from a Semi-Truck Accident Lawsuit in Port Charlotte?
If the negligence of the driver and/or someone responsible for the condition of the truck was a factor in your accident, you may be able to sue the negligent party or parties for substantial compensation. The exact amount will depend on:
- The severity of your injuries
- What kinds of treatment you need
- How long you will continue to need medical care or rehabilitation services
- What the lasting effects of your injuries will be, including such harms as pain, permanent scarring, disabilities, psychological difficulties, and your family’s loss or your companionship, guidance and assistance
- How much income you are losing and will continue to lose because you can no longer work, have to cut back your hours, or have to take a job that pays less
If you lost a loved one in a fatal semi-truck accident, you may be able to file a wrongful death lawsuit to seek compensation for your losses, including medical and funeral expenses that you paid, psychological suffering, and the loss of your loved one’s companionship and support.
An experienced Dennis Hernandez Port Charlotte semi-truck accident lawyer will build a compelling case showing the full extent of your pain, suffering, losses and the expenses for which you need and deserve compensation.
Get Full, Fair compensation with the Help of an Experienced Port Charlotte Semi-Truck Accident Lawyer
When you have been injured in an accident due to someone else’s negligence, Florida law allows you to bring a claim against the negligent party or parties for both economic and non-economic damages. These damages may include:
- Medical expenses, including hospital stays, procedures, medication, diagnostic tests, office visits, assistive devices, rehabilitative care and transportation to medical appointments
- Lost income
- Diminished earning capacity
- Mental anguish, stress and anxiety
- Pain and suffering
- Scarring, disability and disfigurement
- Diminished capacity to enjoy life
- Your family’s loss of your companionship, guidance and assistance
- Other damages recoverable under Florida law
To help you get all the compensation the law entitles you to receive for damages, you need an experienced Port Charlotte semi-truck accident lawyer on your side. The Dennis Hernandez Port Charlotte lawyers will guide you through every step of the legal process. We will investigate the accident thoroughly, gather convincing evidence, build a strong case, negotiate aggressively with the at-fault party’s insurance company on your behalf, and leverage our litigation skills to get you the full and fair result you deserve. We will take the fight to court if that’s what is needed to get the full, fair compensation you deserve.
At Dennis Hernandez, we never back down and we never give up!
Call us at 855-529-3366 or fill in the contact form on this page to get started on your case. Our expert legal advice and services are free until we win your case.