Lehigh Acres Car Accident Lawyers
As the population of Lehigh Acres and surrounding area has grown, so too has the traffic on our roads. Unfortunately, this means there have also been a lot of car accidents. In fact, the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, reports there were 12,547 car accidents, 7,570 car crash injuries and 98 accident-related fatalities in Lee County in 2019 alone.
Too frequently, car accident victims suffer serious, debilitating injuries that require long-term medical treatment. Those who have been injured and their family members must then face numerous adjustments and challenges, including mounting medical bills.
If you or a family member has been seriously injured in a car accident, you don’t have to face all of these challenges alone. The trusted Lehigh Acres car accident attorneys at Dennis Hernandez & Associates have helped hundreds of car accident victims throughout Florida and want to help you hold the negligent party accountable and obtain the financial compensation you deserve.
Why Hire a Lehigh Acres Car Accident Lawyer
If you have been injured in a car accident, your first step after getting medical treatment will most likely be to file a claim with your automobile insurance company. In Florida, your Personal Injury Protection (PIP) insurance covers up to $10,000 in medical coverage, so if you are seriously injured, you will also need to file a claim with the at-fault driver’s insurance company to pay for medical expenses and other losses that amount to more than $10,000.
After you’ve filed a claim, insurance company representatives will determine how much they are willing to pay for your injury, or they may decide to deny your claim altogether. Faced with medical bills, car repairs and insurance forms, many accident victims decide to take what the at-fault driver’s insurance company offers and sign their release form. Unfortunately, many realize after it’s too late that settling with the insurance company was a huge mistake.
Following a serious car accident injury, healthcare needs and medical expenses can continue to mount, employment issues can arise, and everyday living can become difficult. Some victims experience severe pain and mental distress. Some families suffer financially and emotionally because of lost income and lost companionship. The settlement from the insurance company doesn’t begin to compensate them for their pain, suffering and losses.
That’s why it’s important to hire an experienced car accident lawyer as soon as possible after an injury accident. A skilled accident attorney will:
- Collect evidence from the accident to establish liability on the part of the at-fault driver.
- Examine your medical records and consult with experts to establish the full value of your claim.
- Negotiate knowledgeably and vigorously with insurance company representatives on your behalf.
- Be well prepared to successfully litigate the case in court.
- Prove that a satisfactory financial award is needed to compensate you for the injuries, harms and losses you suffered.
- Not back down in the fight for fair compensation or settle early for less than you deserve.
Keep in mind that people who hire competent car accident attorneys generally get paid more than three times the amount those who settle with their insurance companies without hiring an attorney get. Insurance companies notoriously try to pay out as little as possible so they can make as much money as possible. Without an attorney known for being a tough negotiator and litigator looking out for your best interests, you can be left without the financial resources to get the medical treatment you need and begin to recover from the trauma of your car accident injury.
What Types of Car Accident Injuries Are Considered Serious Enough for a Lawsuit?
Unfortunately, people injured in car accidents often do not contact a lawyer because they either don’t have a clear understanding of the Florida Motor Vehicle No-Fault Law or were given bad advice about it. Contrary to what you may have heard, Florida’s no-fault law does not prevent you from filing a car accident lawsuit to obtain compensation if you suffered serious injuries.
The law clearly states that anyone injured in a motor vehicle accident may recover damages for pain, suffering, mental anguish and inconvenience if the injury or disease involves significant and permanent loss of an important bodily function, permanent injury, significant and permanent scarring or disfigurement or death. While this description may seem to create a high bar, you should not assume you do not meet the “serious injury” threshold without first consulting with a knowledgeable Florida car accident attorney.
There are many instances when filing a lawsuit is necessary to obtain the compensation you need to pay for ongoing medical expenses, lost wages, pain, suffering, and other damages. Some of the serious injuries that occur from car accidents include:
- Broken bones – Multiple bones can get broken in a car accident. In addition to causing pain and affecting one’s ability to perform normal daily activities, serious breaks can require surgery and lead to loss of function of a limb, chronic pain, and, in certain cases, infections.
- Neck and Back injuries– The sudden impact of a car crash can cause the head and neck to whip back and forth and force the body to move in ways it was not intended to move. This can cause herniated and bulging discs, which are usually permanent injuries that degenerate and worsen, often leading to surgery later in life.
- Burns: If a vehicle catches on fire after a crash, serious burn injuries can occur. Burn injuries are very painful and can produce scarring and other physical problems.
- Brain injuries – Car crashes are a leading cause of traumatic brain injuries (TBIs), which result in permanent, life-altering damage or death.
- Spinal cord injuries – Car crashes can also cause life-changing spinal cord injuries that can leave victims paralyzed or with no sensation or function in some or all of their limbs.
- Loss of limbs: In catastrophic crashes, an accident victim’s arms or legs can get crushed or torn and damaged so badly that amputation is necessary.
An experienced Florida car accident attorney can review what happened in your injury accident and let you know if you are eligible for a lawsuit to recover damages.
What Compensation Can Be Obtained with a Car Accident Lawsuit?
If you have been injured in an automobile accident, you may be entitled to recover damages to help compensate you for your injuries. With an automobile accident lawsuit, you can pursue compensation for the following damages:
- Medical expenses, such as hospital expenses, treatments, medication, medical equipment, diagnostic procedures, office visits, and transportation to appointments
- Income lost because of time off work due to accident injuries
- Diminished earning capacity in the future
- Physical and emotional pain and suffering
- Diminished qualify of life
- Other damages recoverable under Florida law
In some cases, your family can also obtain compensation for loss of consortium if you can no longer provide the companionship, care and support you did before the accident. If you lost a family member in a fatal automobile accident, you may also be able to pursue compensation with a wrongful death lawsuit.
Contact the Experienced Lehigh Acres Car Accident Attorneys at Dennis Hernandez & Associates, PA for Expert Help with Your Florida Car Accident Claim
For the experienced attorneys at Dennis Hernandez & Associates, making sure you achieve justice and are compensated fairly for your injuries is our main concern. We will use our resources, skill and knowledge to support you through the entire legal process and make sure you get the full compensation you deserve.
We will assure that all evidence is gathered in a timely manner to prove negligence and negotiate vigorously with insurance companies and attorneys on your behalf. We will build a strong case demonstrating your need for compensation for physical, emotional, and financial damages caused by the car accident and will be prepared to fight in court to get what you deserve.
Many injury lawyers will do everything in their power to settle with insurance companies and avoid going to trial, but we won’t back down and leave money on the table. We will leverage our trial experience to fight for and win the compensation you deserve.
Call us in Lehigh Acres at 239.202.0000 or fill in the FREE CASE EVALUATION form on our website to get started on your case.