Cape Coral Car Accident Attorney
As the population of the Cape Coral area has grown, so too has the traffic and congestion on our roadways. Unfortunately, this growth has also led to an increase in the number of car crashes. In 2019, for example, there were 12,547 car accidents in Lee County, 7,570 car crash injuries and 98 accident-related fatalities.
Too often, car accident victims suffer serious, debilitating injuries that cause chronic pain and require extensive medical treatment. Those injured and their families can face numerous challenges and hardships.
If this has happened to you, it may be helpful to know you don’t have to face all of the challenges and hardships on your own. The experienced car accident attorneys of Dennis Hernandez & Associates, PA have helped hundreds of car accident victims throughout Florida and want to help you hold the negligent party accountable and obtain the financial compensation you deserve.
Factors That Contribute to Car Accidents in Cape Coral
Automobile accidents can occur under a wide variety of circumstances for many reasons. According to research, however, the most common factors contributing to car accidents have to do with the driver:
- Distracted driving – Drivers have always been distracted by others in the vehicle, the radio, their own thoughts or sounds or sights in the external environment. Recently, however, accidents attributable to distracted drivers have increased dramatically due to texting, phone calls and the various electronic systems now available in automobiles.
- Impaired driving – Impaired driving, including drivers who are under the influence of alcohol or illicit, prescription or over-the-counter drugs, has decreased in recent years but continues to be a leading cause of car accidents.
- Drowsy driving – The AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety estimates that one in five fatal crashes involves a drowsy driver. In fact, a drowsy driver can be just as dangerous on the roadway as a drunk driver.
- Speed – The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) consistently reports that speed is a factor in about one out of three motor vehicle accidents.
Other factors that can lead to car accidents include hazardous road conditions and mechanical problems. Weather conditions such as rain or fog can decrease visibility and make driving hazardous. Similarly, problems with steering mechanisms, transmissions, braking systems and lighting can all make operating vehicles unsafe.
Injuries from Car Accidents
The most serious injuries from car accidents affect the brain, spinal cord and internal organs. However, any part of the body can be affected during an accident. The most common injuries are:
- Broken bones – Multiple bones can get broken in a car accident. In addition to causing pain and affecting one’s ability to perform normal daily activities, serious breaks can require surgery and lead to loss of function of a limb, chronic pain, and, in certain cases, infections.
- Burns: If a vehicle catches on fire after a crash, serious burn injuries can occur. Burn injuries are very painful and can produce scarring and other physical problems.
- Brain injuries – Car crashes are a leading cause of traumatic brain injuries (TBIs), which result in permanent, life-altering damage or death.
- Spinal cord injuries – Car crashes can also cause life-changing spinal cord injuries that can leave victims paralyzed or with no sensation or function in some or all of their limbs.
- Loss of limbs: In catastrophic crashes, an accident victim’s arms or legs can get crushed or torn and damaged so badly that amputation is necessary.
How a Cape Coral Car Attorney Can Help Car Accident Injury Victims
Car accident injuries can be extremely difficult to handle because of the medical treatment needed and the pain and suffering involved. Unfortunately, these difficulties can be exacerbated by having to deal with insurance forms and mounting medical bills.
If you or a family member has been hurt in a car crash, an experienced Cape Coral car accident attorney can help you. Injured victims may be hesitant to contact an attorney because they do not totally understand (or were given bad advice about) the Florida No-Fault Law. Contrary to what you may think, if you were seriously injured, Florida’s no-fault law does not prevent you from filing a car accident lawsuit to obtain compensation for your injuries.
The skilled attorneys at Dennis Hernandez & Associates, PA can help you understand the law and prepare your case. We know how to collect the necessary evidence to build a strong case, advocate for your rights with insurance companies, fight for a fair settlement or award and get you the compensation you deserve for your injuries, pain and suffering.
Compensation for a Cape Coral Car Accident Victim
If you have been injured in an automobile accident, you may be entitled to recover damages to help compensate you for your injuries. With an automobile accident lawsuit, you can pursue compensation for the following damages:
- Medical expenses, such as hospital expenses, treatments, medication, medical equipment, diagnostic procedures, office visits, and transportation to appointments
- Income lost because of time off due to accident injuries
- Diminished earning capacity in the future
- Physical and emotional pain and suffering
- Diminished qualify of life
- Other damages recoverable under Florida law
In some cases, your family can also obtain compensation for loss of consortium if you can no longer provide the companionship, care and support you did before the accident. If, on the other hand, you lost a family member in an automobile accident, you may also be able to pursue compensation with a wrongful death lawsuit.
Expert Legal Help from Experienced Cape Coral Car Accident Lawyers
If you or a family member has been injured in a car accident, the experienced attorneys at Dennis Hernandez & Associates, PA want to help you get compensated fully and fairly for your injuries.
Many Cape Coral personal injury lawyers will try to settle car accident cases quickly outside of court to avoid having to go to trial. At Dennis Hernandez & Associates, we won’t settle easily and we won’t back down. Here’s what we will do:
- We do an extensive investigation and collect all the evidence necessary to prove negligence led to the accident that caused your serious injuries.
- We develop a powerful case showing you should be compensated for the physical, emotional, and financial damages you suffered because of the accident.
- We negotiate tirelessly on your behalf with insurance companies for a suitable settlement and ensure we are ready to take the case to court if negotiations do not result in a satisfactory settlement.
- We put our litigation expertise and extensive trial experience to work for you, fighting to win the compensation you deserve.
- We guide and help you throughout the entire legal process and fight to win the compensation you deserve.
At Dennis Hernandez & Associates, PA, making sure you achieve justice and are compensated fairly for your injuries is our main concern.
Please contact us in Cape Coral at 239.202.0000 or fill in the FREE CASE EVALUATION form on our website to get started on your case.
AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety. 2019 traffic safety culture index.
Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles. (2020). Traffic crash reports. Crash dashboard.
U.S. Department of Transportaiton. National Highway and Traffic Safety Administration. (2020, April). Traffic safety facts.