St. Petersburg Car Accident Lawyer
As the St. Petersburg area population has increased, so too has the traffic, congestion and number of car accidents. Last year there were 17,875 car crashes in Pinellas County alone, and of those, 7,473 were injury crashes that resulted in 130 fatalities.
As the data suggest, victims of car accidents often suffer serious, even life-threatening, physical injuries. In addition, they can experience emotional and financial hardship that impacts their entire family. Trying to navigate the labyrinth of medical providers, insurance companies, and financial struggles alone can add additional stress and anxiety to a victim’s plight.
Fortunately, if you were involved in an injury car accident, you do not have to go it alone. The accomplished St. Petersburg car accident attorneys at Dennis Hernandez & Associates, PA have extensive experience helping car accident victims like you recover the compensation to which they are entitled from the negligent party.
Factors That Cause Car Accidents in St. Petersburg
Car accidents can happen for many reasons; however, some of the most common contributing factors include:
- Speed –The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) consistently reports that speed is a factor in about one out of three motor vehicle accidents.
- Driving while distracted – Drivers always had to managed distractions; however, the advent of cell phones and other handheld electronic devices dramatically increased the number of accidents attributable to distracted drivers.
- Driving while fatigued – Studies indicate that a drowsy driver can be just as dangerous on the roadway as a drunk driver as referenced by the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety which estimates that one in five fatal crashes involves a drowsy driver.
- Hazardous road conditions – Drivers often fail to adjust for conditions such as rain, ice, snow, or fog that should cause a motorist to slow down and use caution on the roadway, resulting in a catastrophic collision.
- Driving while impaired – Impaired driving includes both drivers who are under the influence of alcohol and those under the influence of illicit, prescription, or over-the counter medications and remains a leading cause of car accidents.
Common Car Accident Injuries
The victim of a car accident can suffer anything from minor bumps and bruises to life-altering physical injuries. Among the most common of those serious injuries are:
- Neck and Back injuries– The most common car accident injuries are herniated and bulging discs in the neck and back. These are typically permanent injuries that get worse as time passes, often requiring surgery later in life.
- Broken bones – Along with being extremely painful, a broken bone can cause loss of function in a limb, chronic pain, and serious infections.
- Loss of limbs – The victim of a serious car accident may experience crushed or torn limps that are irreparably damages, resulting in the need for amputation.
- Burns – A car accident can spur a vehicle fire which, in turn, can lead to serious burn injuries for the occupants, resulting in scarring and other physical problems.
- Brain injuries – When a car accident causes a sudden jolt or blow to the head it often causes a traumatic brain injury (TBIs), resulting in permanent, life-altering injuries.
- Spinal cord injuries – When the spinal cord is damaged in a car accident it can result in paralysis in some, or all, of the victim’s limbs.
Am I Entitled to Compensation for My St. Petersburg Car Accident Injury?
As the victim of a St. Petersburg car accident, you may be entitled to damages for your physical and emotional injuries, including compensation for:
- Medical expenses
- Rehabilitation and other care costs
- Income lost because of time off because of accident injuries
- Loss of earning capacity in the future
- Physical and emotional pain and suffering
- Diminished qualify of life
- Other damages recoverable under Florida law
A victim’s family members who have been impacted by a car accident may also be entitled to compensation if a spouse or parent can no longer provide the companionship, care, and support they provided prior to the accident. If your family member was fatally injured in a car accident, you may be entitled to compensation as a claimant in a wrongful death lawsuit.
Help Is Available from the Experienced St. Petersburg Car Accident Attorneys at Dennis Hernandez & Associates, PA
At Dennis Hernandez & Associates, PA, we are committed to ensuring that car accident victims are fully and fairly compensated for all of their injuries. To accomplish this goal, we aggressively pursue evidence of negligence on the part of the responsible party and negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf. Don’t be misled by what you may have heard about Florida’s No-Fault law. It does not preclude filing a car accident lawsuit to obtain compensation if you suffered serious injuries.
The St. Petersburg car accident attorneys will fight for the compensation you deserve for the physical injuries, emotional trauma, and financial hardship you have suffered and will not accept less than what you deserve. If warranted, we will go to court and put our extensive trial experience to work fighting for your full compensation. We will not back down, but will be by your side through the entire legal process to make sure you are protected and justly compensated.
Call us at 855.529.3366 or fill in the FREE CASE EVALUATION form on our website to get started on your case.
AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety. 2019 traffic safety culture index.
Florida Department of Transportation. (2019). FY 2019 highway safety plan.
Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles. (2020). Traffic crash reports. Crash dashboard.
U.S. Department of Transportaiton. National Highway and Traffic Safety Administration. (2020, April). Traffic safety facts.