If you were recently injured in a slip and fall accident you may be able to sue if the accident happened on someone else’s property, and the owner or manager of that property was at least partially at fault for your fall.
In Florida, property owners and managers have a legal duty to maintain their property so that it’s safe for visitors, customers, and guests. If they are negligent and fail in that duty, and that failure contributed to your falling, Florida law gives you the right to seek compensation from them for your injuries.
What Are Some Ways Florida Property Owners and Managers Can Be Negligent?
If you fell and were injured when you were a visitor, customer or guest on someone else’s property, you can sue for damages and win substantial compensation if the property owner or manager’s negligence caused or partially caused your fall. Not every slip and fall accident is caused by an owner’s or manager’s negligence, but many are.
There are many ways a property can be unsafe. These are just some examples of unsafe conditions that can be caused by negligence:
- A floor is wet and slippery because liquid was spilled and not cleaned up.
- A rug is loose or uneven.
- An object is left in the middle of an aisle where someone could trip on it.
- Stairs are missing or uneven.
- Handrails are missing or loose.
- There is not enough light to see clearly, either inside or around the outside of the premises.
- An electrical cord is strung across an aisle and is a tripping hazard.
- The pavement around the premises is uneven or cracked.
- There is a slipping or tripping hazard that the owner or manager knew about, but they failed to post a sign or otherwise warn visitors about the hazard.
The cause of your slip and fall accident might be similar to one of these examples, or it could be different. What’s important in order for you to file a slip and fall lawsuit and win financial compensation for your injuries is that you can show that something the property owner or manager negligently did – or failed to do – created a hazardous condition that was a cause of your falling.
At best, successfully proving negligence on the property owner or manager’s part is difficult, when you try to do it on your own. It is definitely in your best interest to get help from an experienced Florida slip and fall accident lawyer who understands the law and has the knowledge and resources to investigate your accident thoroughly, identify the parties who are at fault, and prove that their negligence caused your injuries.
How Much Can You Receive in Florida If You Sue after a Slip and Fall Accident?
If you were seriously injured in your slip and fall accident, you could receive substantial compensation for all the damages you have suffered because pf the fall. Unfortunately, serious injuries, such as traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, and broken and fractured bones, change people’s lives in many ways. Florida law recognized this and gives you the right to seek compensation for all the ways that your injuries affect you and your family. These may include:
- Current and expected future medical expenses related to your injury, including doctor visits, hospital stays, surgery, medication, assistive devices, rehabilitation, and home care, if needed.
- Current and future loss of income because you can’t earn as much as you did before you were injured, or you might not be able to work at all.
- Physical pain and suffering
- Mental anguish, anxiety and trauma
- Diminished capacity to enjoy life
- Disfigurement, scarring and disability
- Your family’s loss of your companionship, guidance and assistance
The amount you may receive for your slip and fall injuries will depend on the extent of your injuries, the treatment and care required, your ability to work, and other factors. An experienced Dennis Hernandez slip and fall accident lawyer can help you get all the compensation that you deserve by building a case that shows how much your injuries affect your life and will continue to affect you in the future.
Making the Decision Whether to Sue for Your Slip and Fall Injuries
Deciding whether to file a lawsuit is a big decision. At Dennis Hernandez & Associates, we understand that. Our law firm has been helping accident victims in Florida for more than 25 years.
We also understand how confusing legal processes and forms can be and would be glad to help you decide if you should go ahead with a lawsuit. We will provide expert legal advice and, if you are going to sue, we will put our resources, skill and experience to work for you gathering the evidence necessary for proving negligence and your need for compensation. We will build a compelling case, negotiate with the at-fault party’s insurance company on your behalf, and take the insurance company to court if they refuse to agree to a fair settlement.
Call us at 855-529-3366 or fill out the FREE CASE EVALUATION form on this page to get advice from an experienced slip and fall accident lawyer on whether you should sue for compensation for your slip and fall injury. Our expert legal advice and services are FREE until we WIN your case.