Florida Burn Injury Attorney
A burn injury is one of the most traumatic types of injury a victim can experience. While a mild burn can heal relatively quickly without leaving permanent scars, a moderate to severe burn injury can cause constant, extreme pain. A person with a severe burn injury may require skin grafts that leave permanent scars and have to be put into a medically induced coma to be able to heal.
When someone else’s negligent or wrongful conduct caused or contributed to a burn injury, the victim may be entitled to compensation for the physical, emotional, and financial damages caused by the injury. If you have been the victim of a burn injury caused by someone else’s negligent or wrongful conduct, an experienced Florida burn injury attorney can help you determine your best course of action.
The experienced Florida burn injury attorneys at Dennis Hernandez & Associates, PA have helped burn injury victims throughout the state and want to help you. We are committed to holding the negligent parties accountable for their actions and obtaining the financial compensation you deserve.
Levels of Burn Injuries
Medical professionals categorize burn injuries by the extent of damage they cause a victim, with first-degree burns indicating the least extensive damage and fourth degree and greater indicating catastrophic damage. The characteristics of the different levels are:
- First-degree burns – minor burns that only damage the top layer of skin. First-degree burns might require first aid but typically don’t require medical treatment.
- Second-degree burns – burns that go through the top layer of skin into the dermis. They typically need more time to recover than first-degree burns.
- Third-degree burns – burns that go through all of the layers of the skin. They are very painful, usually necessitating reconstructive surgery, a hospital stay, and a pain management regimen. Third degree burns often cause permanent scarring.
- Catastrophic burns – burns that go through the skin to muscle and fat layers. Catastrophic burn victims often go into shock. They have to be put in a coma until healing occurs and often die from the injury.
Causes of Burn Injuries
According to the American Burn Association, there are approximately one million burn injuries requiring treatment in the United States each year, with about 40,000 of those injured requiring hospitalization. The majority (73%) of these burn injuries occur in the home and another 8% occur at work.
Common causes of burn injuries include:
- Smoke inhalation that causes internal burns
- Radiation treatments
- Exposure to scalding liquids or hot metal
- Defective products
Compensation for a Burn Injury
If you suffered a burn injury because of someone else’s negligence, you may be able to take legal action against the negligent party to hold them responsible and get compensated for your damages, including:
- Medical expenses – emergency services, diagnostic tests, hospital expenses, medications, surgery and follow-up
- Care expenses – rehabilitation, home healthcare and equipment
- Lost wages and diminished earning capacity
- Physical pain and suffering
- Emotional pain and suffering
- Scarring and disfigurement
Get Help from Experienced Florida Burn Injury Attorneys
If you suffered a burn injury, it is important to talk with an experienced Florida burn injury attorney as soon as possible to determine if the negligence or wrongful conduct of another party caused your injuries and if so, what compensation you may be entitled to. An expert attorney from Dennis Hernandez & Associates, PA can help you determine your best course of action and make sure a lawsuit is filed within the time limit stipulated by the Florida statute of limitations.
At Dennis Hernandez & Associates, PA, making sure you achieve justice and are compensated fairly for your injuries is our main concern. We assure that all the evidence necessary to prove negligence is collected and presented, and we negotiate aggressively with insurance companies on your behalf. We ensure your case clearly demonstrates your need for compensation for physical, emotional, and financial damages caused by the car accident.
Many injury lawyers do all they can to settle outside of court with insurance companies, but we never back down. We will leverage our years of trial experience to fight for the compensation you deserve. Working with the attorneys at Dennis Hernandez & Associates means being supported through the entire legal process.
Call us at 855-LAW-DENNIS or fill in the FREE CASE EVALUATION form on our website to get started on your case.
American Burn Association. (2016). Burn incidence fact sheet.