Lakeland Car Accident Lawyer
The number of vehicles on Florida’s roadways has steadily increasing, causing a correlating increase in the number of car accidents. In 2018, for example, there were 11,635 car crashes in Polk County, causing 7,819 injuries and 123 fatalities.
Unfortunately, car accident victims can suffer serious, even life-threatening, physical injuries, as well as experience emotional and financial hardship that impacts their entire family. Locating medical providers and services and trying to deal with insurance companies can add additional stress and anxiety to an already difficult situation.
Fortunately, you do not have to handle of these challenges alone. The experienced Lakeland car accident attorneys at Dennis Hernandez & Associates, PA have extensive experience helping car accident victims like you hold negligent drivers accountable and recover the compensation to which they are entitled.
Lakeland Car Accident Contributing Factors
Car accidents can happen for many reasons; however, some of the most common causes of car accidents in Lakeland include:
- Drowsy driving – A drowsy driver is every bit as dangerous as an impaired driver according to one study published by the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety that indicated that 20 percent of all car accidents involve a drowsy driver.
- Impaired driving – Impaired driving includes both drivers who are under the influence of alcohol and those under the influence of illicit, prescription, or over-the counter medications and remains a leading cause of car accidents.
- Distracted driving – Distracted driving has always been a factor in car accidents; however, the increased use of cell phones has caused a corresponding increase in accidents involving a distracted driver.
- Hazardous road conditions – Conditions such as rain, ice, snow, or fog can contribute to a car accident if a driver fails to slow down and make the necessary adjustments based on the road conditions.
- Speed – The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) consistently tells us that speed is a factor in about one out of three motor vehicle accidents.
Top Lakeland Car Accident Injuries
As the victim of a Lakeland car accident, you could walk away with minor injuries or more serious injuries, such as:
- Neck and Back injuries– The most common car accident injuries are herniated and bulging discs in the neck and back. These are typically permanent injuries that get worse as time passes, often requiring surgery later in life.
- Broken bones – Along with being extremely painful, a broken bone can cause loss of function in a limb, chronic pain, and serious infections.
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI) – When a car accident causes a sudden jolt or blow to the head it often causes a traumatic brain injury (TBIs), resulting in permanent, life-altering injuries.
- Loss of limbs – When a car accident results in crushed or mangled limbs, amputation may be necessary.
- Burns – Scarring and life-long pain often results when a car accident victim suffers burn injuries in the accident.
- Spinal cord injuries – If the spinal cord is injured in a car accident, the victim may be faced with paralysis in some, or all, their limbs.
Is a Lakeland Car Accident Victim Entitled to Compensation?
A Lakeland car accident victim could recover monetary damages for physical and emotional injuries, including compensation for:
- Current and future medical expenses related to your accident injury
- Rehabilitation and other care costs
- Income lost because of time off due to your accident injury
- Decreased earning capacity in the future
- Physical and emotional pain and suffering
- Diminished qualify of life
- Other damages recoverable under Florida law
A victim’s family members who have been impacted by a car accident may also be entitled to compensation if a spouse or parent can no longer provide the companionship, care, and support they provided prior to the accident. If your family member was fatally injured in a car accident, you may be entitled to compensation as a claimant in a wrongful death lawsuit.
Expert Help Is Available from the Experienced Lakeland Car Accident Attorneys at Dennis Hernandez & Associates, PA
At Dennis Hernandez & Associates, PA, we zealously pursue compensation for car accident victims by gathering evidence that proves negligence on the part of the at-fault party (or parties). We then attempt to negotiate an advantageous settlement with the insurance company; however, if a settlement is not forthcoming, we will leverage our trial experience and resources to fight for the compensation you deserve.
The Lakeland car accident attorneys at Dennis Hernandez & Associates will be by your side throughout the entire legal process to make sure you are protected and justly compensated.
Call us at 855.529.3366 or fill in the FREE CASE EVALUATION form on our website to get started on your case.
AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety. 2019 traffic safety culture index.
Florida Department of Transportation. (2019). FY 2019 highway safety plan.
Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles. (2020). Traffic crash reports. Crash dashboard.
U.S. Department of Transportation. National Highway and Traffic Safety Administration. (2020, April). Traffic safety facts.