An injury sustained in an accident due to someone else’s negligence or carelessness can be a life-changing event. Not only must you deal with medical bills and recovering from your injuries—you may also be worried about losing your ability to make a living and take care of your family and other obligations. To make matters worse, you may also have to fight your way through insurance claims to get what is rightfully yours. At Dennis Hernandez & Associates, P.A., we know just how devastating a personal injury can be and what it can mean to our Sarasota clients’ futures. That’s why we’re here to help you understand all of your options and determine what course of action you should take to get the compensation you deserve. If you’ve been injured in an accident, turn to the Sarasota personal injury law experts for help.
DON’T WAIT TO SCHEDULE YOUR FREE CONSULTATION
Time is of the essence when you’ve been the victim of a personal injury. Evidence must be preserved to support your claim and proper procedures must be followed to ensure your rights are protected. Whether your claim is related to a car accident, motorcycle accident, truck accident, wrongful death, nursing home abuse, or any of our other practice areas, there is no cost to you unless we recover damages on your behalf. Contact us now to schedule your free initial consultation.
GET A FREE, NO-OBLIGATION EVALUATION
There are no costs for an initial consultation and no hidden fees. If you’ve suffered a personal injury, don’t hesitate to contact us 24/7 to schedule your free case evaluation with an experienced Sarasota accident attorney. Please contact us at (941) 210 0000.
OUR PERSONAL INJURY PRACTICE AREAS
Our personal injury law firm has expertise in a range of practice areas. We are experienced accident attorneys in Sarasota in these types of personal injury cases and many more:
Auto accidents: Car accidents are among the most common types of personal injury claims. Because establishing fault can be challenging, it’s important to have an experienced auto accident attorney guide you through your case.
Motorcycle accidents: As more motorcyclists take to the road, the greater the chance that motorcycle accidents will occur on Sarasota roads. In addition, riders are more vulnerable than drivers in cars when an accident happens. When severe injuries are the result, a motorcycle accident lawyer can help you determine appropriate compensation for the potentially life-long effects such injuries can have.
Medical malpractice: An expert medical malpractice attorney can help you navigate the complex legal processes that come with challenging medical professionals and institutions, and their insurance companies.
Construction accidents: Accidents are an unfortunate reality on construction sites. They may be due to inadequate training, the improper use of equipment or even defects in the equipment, a lack of proper safety policies or precautions, and much more. The services of a qualified construction accident lawyer is critical to navigating these often complicated cases.
Brain injuries: A brain injury sustained in an accident can be devastating. Not only must accident victims deal with the immediate aftermath—they must also face long-term care or disabilities that will affect them for the remainder of their lives. The Sarasota personal injury experts at Dennis Hernandez & Associates, P.A., have successfully administered thousands of catastrophic injury claims for our clients.
Nursing home abuse: We are dedicated to protecting the rights of the elderly and other vulnerable people, and will hold negligent parties accountable when your loved one has been abused or neglected in a nursing home facility.
Truck accidents: Determining responsibility when a truck accident has occurred can be very challenging: Various entities and persons may be involved, such as the truck driver, the company that owns the truck, and the owner of the trailer. The guidance of a seasoned truck accident attorney is essential to a successful outcome in your personal injury accident claim.
Product liability: When you or a loved one has been injured due to defects in vehicles, consumer products, medical products, building materials or other types of products, we can help. A number of parties may ultimately be found liable in product liability cases, so it’s important to have an experienced product liability lawyer representing you.
Dog bites: Dog bite cases can be some of the most traumatic types of personal injury cases. Florida laws make dog owners clearly liable for injuries that their animal causes, and our attorneys are well-versed in how to put these laws to work for you.
Pedestrian accidents: A driver’s negligence is frequently the cause of fatalities or serious injuries in pedestrian accidents. When you’ve suffered an injury in a pedestrian accident or lost a loved one due to such an accident, we will fight for you and your family’s interests and rights.
Mesothelioma claims: If you or a loved one has received a diagnosis of mesothelioma or cancer related to asbestos, we are here to help. It’s important to act quickly to file a claim, since Florida’s statute of limitations restricts the length of time during which you can file a lawsuit.
Wrongful death: Losing a loved one is difficult enough, but when the loss involves the negligence or deliberate actions of someone else, it can be especially devastating for survivors. Our wrongful death attorneys will aggressively seek the full compensation available to you and your family for your loss.
PERSONAL INJURY FAQ
Q: How do I choose a personal injury lawyer?
A: Choosing an attorney you can trust to have your best interests in mind is one of the most important decisions you can make. Experience counts, as does a focus on personal injury law, a record of success, plus real-life examples of clients who have received the compensation they deserved. To see what Dennis Hernandez & Associates, P.A., clients have to say, review our testimonials. You may also view some of the personal injury settlements we have recovered for our clients.
Q: How much will you charge to represent me in my personal injury case?
A: Because we serve our personal injury clients on a contingency fee basis, we only get paid if we secure a favorable verdict or settlement on your behalf.
Q: Once you take my case, how long should I expect it to take?
A: Each case, just like each of our clients, is unique, so there is no single answer to this question. Many factors can affect how your case progresses, such as how aggressively opposing parties are in their defense, what types of compensation are being sought, whether a settlement is reached or your case goes to trial, and more. Rest assured that our personal injury lawyers will work efficiently on your behalf without compromising any of your opportunities to receive the compensation you deserve.
Q: What is negligence?
A: In short, negligence is the failure to use reasonable care, which then results in an injury or damage to another person. A negligence case has several standard elements, including a “duty of care” existing between the negligent party and the injured party; breach of that duty of care; the fact that the breach of duty caused the injury; and the injury itself.
Q: How much money am I entitled to receive?
As with the duration of your case, your potential compensation will be unique. Part of determining the compensation to pursue is the proper estimation of what a jury would likely award considering all of the particulars of your case. Our Sarasota personal injury attorneys are experts at calculating a fair and accurate compensation amount.
Q: What factors affect compensation amounts?
A: Factors may be economic and/or non-economic. Examples of economic damages include:
- Lost wages—Paychecks you were unable to collect due to the injuries you sustained in your accident
- A loss of earning capacity—Income you will be unable to earn in the future as a result of your injuries
- Expenses related to medical care—Medical bills you’ve accrued for treatment of your injuries
- Future medical costs—The medical expenses you will have for future medical care, therapies, rehabilitation, etc.
- Property repair or replacement—You may be able to recover the fair market value of items damaged in an accident
- Pain and suffering—This can include compensation for mental/emotional anguish or distress, physical pain, a loss of enjoyment of life, and more
- A loss of consortium—Spouses who suffer a loss of affection, comfort, companionship and other elements of married life due to a personal injury accident may be able to recover damages for those losses
Our personal injury attorneys will be glad to explain this in more detail during your free initial consultation.
Q: I’m not sure I should file a personal injury claim. Can I file it at another time?
A: You do not have unlimited time to file a personal injury claim. In fact, you have just 48 months from the date of the accident, according to Florida State Statutes. In the case of a wrongful death or medical malpractice, it’s even less, just two years. There is, however, a more important reason to take prompt action if you’ve been injured in an accident caused by someone else’s negligence: Witnesses may forget crucial details over time, and evidence may be lost or degraded. Consult a Sarasota personal injury attorney as soon as possible.
Q: Will you take my case to trial?
A: Dennis Hernandez & Associates, P.A., has assembled a talented and experienced team of trial lawyers who will not hesitate to go to trial on your behalf. A great many of our clients’ cases are resolved with settlements, but we are always prepared to represent your personal injury case in a trial.
Q: Do I have to go to court?
A: The answer to this often depends upon the insurance company. If it does not agree to pay what our personal injury lawyers believe you are entitled to, we may proceed to litigation to attempt to secure that compensation amount. You may, however, choose to settle when the insurance company offers the appropriate amount, in which case you would not go to court.
Q: Insurance company representatives are calling me. What should I do?
A: Delay speaking with an insurance company’s adjuster, lawyer, or other representative until you’ve had the opportunity to consult with a qualified accident attorney. Any statements you make (in writing, in person, or over the phone) to an insurance company representative may adversely affect the strength of your case and/or the amount of compensation you can recover. You can quickly reach our Sarasota personal injury lawyers by calling 941-210-0000.
Q: What are the first steps in a personal injury case?
A: Dennis Hernandez & Associates, P.A., offers a free initial consultation, in which we will gather information from you about how you were injured, determine if you have a case, and help you understand what your options may be.
For more information on the process of pursuing a personal injury claim, watch this brief video:
NEARBY FLORIDA COURTHOUSES
Tampa: George E. Edgecomb Courthouse
Plant City: Plant City Courthouse
St. Petersburg: St. Petersburg Judicial Building
Clearwater: Pinellas County Courthouse
Bradenton: Manatee County Judicial Center
Brandon: Brandon Regional Service Center
Ruskin: South Shore Regional Service Center
Bartow: Polk County Courthouse
Lakeland: Lakeland Branch
New Port Richey: West Pasco Judicial Center
Dade City: Pasco County Courthouse
WHY YOU NEED A SARASOTA PERSONAL INJURY LAWYER
We know you have a lot on your mind after you have been injured in an accident. How will you manage if you’ve lost wages? What will you do if your medical care costs spiral out of control? What if you need additional care far into the future? When you know you deserve compensation for all of the effects your accident is having on your life but you don’t know where to turn, your best option is to get an expert Sarasota accident attorney on your side.
Our attorneys will work relentlessly to hold the responsible parties accountable for their negligence and aggressively seek the maximum amount of compensation to which you have a right. And while we’re working on your behalf, you pay nothing—because we work on a contingency fee basis, if we don’t win, you don’t pay. That means you can have skilled attorneys with deep experience in personal injury law representing you, no matter what your financial circumstances are.
When you are represented by the Sarasota personal injury experts at Dennis Hernandez & Associates, P.A., you can rest assured that:
- We will put your interests first: lnsurance companies have teams of attorneys to protect their financial interests—and you deserve the same.
- We will accurately calculate the compensation you have a right to: We have decades of experience determining the maximum damages you have and will suffer, and will fight for every dollar on your behalf.
- We will prepare a strong case: From expertise in reconstructing the circumstances of your accident to proving who is truly at fault, our Sarasota personal injury lawyers prepare the strongest possible cases, whether it’s for a fair settlement or it goes to the courtroom
PERSONAL INJURY CHECKLIST
After calling law enforcement and ensuring that all parties involved in an accident are medically attended to, the next steps are critical to a successful personal injury case. For vehicular accidents, we recommend following these steps:
Document the scene:
- Take as many photos as possible as soon as possible. If you don’t have a camera or smartphone handy, ask someone on the scene if you can use theirs.
- Take photos of all of the vehicles involved from several angles.
- Take photos of the area surrounding the accident, including the roadway, street signs and traffic signals, if applicable.
- Take photos of any visible injuries you or any of your passengers may have sustained.
- In addition to damage to vehicles, take photos of any property that was damaged in the accident.
- Write down the license plate numbers of all vehicles involved in the accident.
- Ask the other driver if he or she owns the car or if it is owned by someone who is not at the scene.
- Ask for the name of the insurance company that covers the other driver’s vehicle.
- Ask the responding law enforcement officer how soon the accident report will be available to you and where you must go to get it.
- Should the officer indicate that a report will not be written, ask for his or her name and badge number to be used as contact information.
Get contact details from witnesses:
- Try to get contact information from all witnesses before they leave the scene. Do not ask witnesses for statements—your personal injury attorney will contact them if needed.
- If there were no witnesses in close proximity to the accident, make note of any nearby businesses or homes and provide this information to your attorney.
After the accident:
- If you received any medical treatment, gather contact information for the hospital or emergency room where you were immediately treated, as well as from physicians and/or therapists who may have treated you in the days following the accident.
- Retain all documents in a safe place. These may include:
- The police accident report
- Insurance policies and any communications from insurance companies
- Medical bills from hospitals, doctors, pharmacies, testing facilities, etc.
- Correspondence from the other driver or any witnesses
- Receipt for repairs to property that was damaged as a result of the accident
- Pay stubs or other proof of wages that were lost as a result of the accident
PERSONAL INJURY CASE TIMELINE
Each case is as unique as the individual who has been injured in an accident, but there are some steps that are typically taken. Your accident injury case may include these and other events:
Your recovery period: This initial stage starts at the moment you are injured and lasts until your doctor states that your condition cannot be further improved in a medical setting with care provided by medical professionals. This point is referred to as maximum medical improvement (MMI). When you are at this point, any health issues you have going forward are considered to be permanent.
Submission of documents: This is when information is submitted to your insurance company, including but not limited to your medical bills and proof of lost wages.
The negotiation period: An insurance adjuster reviews all of the submitted information, then makes a settlement offer. If your Sarasota personal injury lawyer determines that this offer is insufficient, a counter offer will be made.
Litigation: When an agreement cannot be reached, the case may go to trial. Keep in mind that the majority of personal injury cases are settled outside of court.
WE SPECIALIZE IN PERSONAL INJURY IN SARASOTAWe have one exclusive focus at Dennis Hernandez & Associates, P.A.: helping personal injury victims at their time of greatest need. Regardless of the type of accident that has left you or a loved one with an injury—a car accident, motorcycle accident, medical malpractice, truck accident, nursing home abuse or other accident—we provide you with the highest level of legal expertise and service. Each of the personal injury lawyers on our team brings deep experience to your case, and we are committed to fighting for the compensation you need to put your life back together.