FREE CASE EVALUATION
assistance AVAILABLE - 24 HRS A DAY - 7 DAYS A WEEK!
Harvard Law Graduate | Born & Raised in Tampa
No Fees or Costs Unless WE Win
Auto Accident Attorneys Tampa, FL
If you’ve ever been in a car accident, you know the flood of emotion that comes along with your life potentially being turned upside in an instant. It starts with the initial panic that you or your family and friends that may have been driving with you have been injured or maybe even killed. Once you’ve been able to assess that everyone is still alive, then it’s calling out to each other checking to see if anyone is hurt or badly injured. If you’ve been fortunate enough for you or everyone with you to have come away unscathed, then you start to think about the uphill battle you’re going to have to get your vehicle fixed, deal with adjustors, rental cars, and weeks to a couple of months or more of inconvenience.
What if you weren’t one of the lucky ones, though? Who can those who have been injured in a car crash that wasn’t their fault turn to? Thankfully that’s where having a knowledgeable injury law firm comes in to play. Being injured in a Tampa auto accident can feel like the end of the world. It doesn’t have to, though, with the proper guidance. We’re here to make sure that the person at fault is held accountable. We can’t put you back together, but what we do better than anyone is that we fight to get you paid!
What Should You Do After a Car Crash in Tampa?
Even minor accidents can be upsetting, and it’s natural for you to be too distressed to think of everything that can or should be done in the aftermath. Here are six things to do if you have a car accident:
1. Call the police
Having a police report on file is vital in determining who may be deemed at fault for the accident. The other driver may beg and plead with you to not call the police, you must do it anyway. This will allow the police to produce the report that your lawyer will absolutely need later for your case. If your insurance claim is rejected, having a police report will aid in the lawsuit filing process. The police report will include critical information, including:
- Witness name and contact info
- Both driver’s statements
- Description of the car accident scene
- Pictures of both the scene and the vehicles involved
- Road conditions description
- License and insurance information from both drivers
- Proof of drug/alcohol intoxication at the time of the crash
2. Seek medical attention
Just because you and your passengers can walk away from the scene of an accident doesn’t necessarily indicate that no injuries have been sustained. If you feel that you don’t require emergency medical services, please make sure you seek precautionary medical attention and be evaluated for hidden injuries as soon as you can. Our suggestion though, would be to go to the hospital and get checked out to be on the safe side. When at the hospital for car accident treatment, they will:
Run necessary tests to evaluate if you have any injuries Prescribe medicine you may need as a result of the crash Observe your condition if a traumatic brain injury (TBI) is suspected Provide evidence of injuries in the form of medical documentation If necessary, they can testify at trial to explain the severe nature of your injuries
3. Do not admit fault
The determination of who is at fault can often only be made after a complete investigation. At the scene of the accident, do not admit any kind of fault to any degree to the police, witnesses, the other driver or passengers, or anyone else. Wait until you have consulted an attorney.
4. Speak to an injury attorney in Tampa, Florida before signing or agreeing to anything
Some insurance companies dispatch local agents to accident scenes or hospitals whose job is to quickly arrange a settlement with you. (You may also hear from an insurance company’s agent via phone or email for the same purpose.) It’s critical that you do not agree to settle a claim or sign any documents before you have consulted an attorney.
5. Take photos
If you are physically able to do so, take as many photos as possible of the vehicles involved, damage to the vehicle, the surrounding scene, and any other details that you think may be pertinent.
6. Get witness information
Ask all witnesses on the scene for their names and contact information.
Why Do You Need a Car Accident Attorney After Your Crash?
While you’re legally able to file a claim for damages on your own, it can become a complex process that’s better suited for an expert in car accident law. You must file an auto accident claim within four years of the date of the accident per Florida law. Once the statute expires, you’ll be no longer able to file a case with any court in the state. Another thing to consider is that insurance laws are fairly complex already without even adding in Florida’s specific rules. Insurance companies also pay their lawyers handsomely and have full legal teams at their disposal. It is simple for them to have a compensation claim dismissed over minor legal issues. If you’re trying to represent yourself, your ability to counter a large insurance company will likely be too overwhelming. Insurance companies will also push for settlements that are almost always tiny in comparison to what you actually deserve. By not having a car accident attorney on your side to represent your best interests, you wouldn’t have a clue about how much compensation you should be asking for and fight to receive as a result of your injuries.
How Much Money Will My Claim Be Worth?
There are so many factors that go into what a claim may be worth, that it’s impossible to list all of them here. The severity of your injuries, property damage, and level of disability all play a role in the compensation calculation process. Expert testimony from doctors, car crash experts, and others are other factors that come into play when it comes to compensation. Every accident is unique and presents its own set of challenges. When you become a client of Dennis Hernandez and Associates, PA, there are never any fees unless we win your case. Our expert attorneys will be able to give you an idea of what your case could be worth, advise you of the process, and start the sign-up process of you becoming a client. Don’t hesitate to call us today and get a free case evaluation. Phone lines are open 24/7.
Our Tampa Auto Accident Lawyers Handle All TypeS of Car Crashes
Car accidents can happen in a variety of ways due to a variety of circumstances. That’s why it’s imperative that you speak to one of the best Tampa car accident lawyers in the area at our Kennedy Blvd office. We’ve recovered millions of dollars for our clients and we can help you if you’ve been injured in a vehicle crash due to no fault of your own. If you would prefer to submit your inquiry online, you can contact us now. Perhaps you were involved into one of these more common accident types:
– These auto accident types generally don’t cause life threatening injuries and are usually the fault of the rear driver. They may have been distracted by texting, been driving too fast on a wet road, or just couldn’t react fast enough to time. If the driver is found at fault you should be eligible to receive compensation.
– Head-on collisions can easily lead to serious or catastrophic injuries. Two cars moving fast and making contact head to head produces immense force which can create both blunt force and soft tissue injuries. This can happen when one of the drivers is driving recklessly. Damages from head-on collisions can quickly go through the roof. This is what makes it all the more critical that you have a team of injury law experts by your side to help you receive compensation and ensure your bills get paid.
– Accidents like these are unnecessary and leave so much damage and heartache in their wake. Our experienced Tampa accident lawyers can take on your case and make sure you get the maximum compensation you may be eligible for.
– These crashes can be terrifying and catch the other drivers completely off guard. Having a car careening toward you in the complete opposite direction of the rest of the flow of traffic can paralyze a driver’s ability to react quick enough to try and get out of the way and protect themselves. According to a special report by the National Transportation Safety Board, about 360 lives are lost annually to wrong way driving collisions.
Other types of cases include:
- Hit and run accidents
- Injured drivers
- Injured passengers
- Driving while fatigued
- Reckless driving
- Aggressive driving or road rage
- Defective auto parts
- Traffic violations
- Poorly maintained roads
- Poorly maintained cars or equipment
Your Tampa Car Accident Lawyer Will Handle the Insurance Company’s Adjuster
If everything went off without a hitch, your claim would be paid just a few days after it was submitted. Of course, things don’t work that way often. Insurance companies usually reject a percentage of claims submitted or try to reduce what they’re willing to pay down to the bare minimum. If your claim is denied you can appeal the decision. Maybe you’ll get lucky. Or maybe, the insurance company a claim settlement. You’ll be asked to sign a release that will keep you from ever coming back for more money in the future once you sign the settlement. Insurance companies use this tactic to pay as little as possible and it’s generally not even close to what you should be compensated based on your injuries. We recommended never signing a settlement or release without talking to an attorney. If your claim isn’t paid in full by the insurance company, you should contact one of our Expert Tampa Car Accident Lawyers as soon as possible!
Why Would the Insurance Company Deny My Claim?
The insurance company may have denied your claim for any number of reasons like:
- The policy was not valid due to cancellation or a non-payment lapse.
- The driver had a suspended/revoked license and didn’t qualify for coverage.
- The insurance company doesn’t believe you about your injuries.
- The claim exceeds the policy limits.
Whatever the reason, our car crash lawyers can appeal the claim for you. Car accident attorneys can reach out to the insurance company and try to get the claim reopened. Then, based on your injuries, work towards a settlement or go to trial based on the circumstances of your case. We fight to get you paid and will not back down from and insurance company not compensating you fairly.
Our Tampa Accident Lawyers Will Fight to Get You Paid and Made Whole
We work to make you whole because of auto accident injuries suffered at the hands of another. The extent of your injuries and their permanency play a large role in the type of compensation you may be eligible to receive. Lost wages and medical bills make up the largest part of damages and recovery in an accident injury case. The most common type of damages you’ll encounter in your case is:
– Being unable to work and provide for yourself or your family is common, and depending on the severity of the accident, may be permanent. Our car accident lawyers will demand that your lost wages be compensated for past, current, and even future earnings depending on how long you’ll be out of work.
– Medical bills can quickly get out of hand in a car accident scenario, and just was we’re able to do with lost wages, our auto accident attorneys will be demanding past, current, and future medical bills (if applicable). Getting to the past and current bills are the easy part by obtaining billing records but estimating future medical bills can require specialized experts. It’s not uncommon to bring in medical experts to testify on your behalf as to how much your future medical bills could be based on your current projected track.
– Repairing your vehicle is important too! Many states, especially Florida, require a private vehicle to maintain a basic way of life and get back and forth from important places. The repairs will fall on you initially, but all receipts from repairs needed to fix your vehicle should be provided to your attorney. Many if not all repairs will be covered by your settlement/judgement.
Pain and Suffering
– Physical, mental, and emotional paid all fall into this category. Physical pain has more of a concrete measure, whereas emotional and mental anguish are a little harder to assign. An example of mental and emotional anguish might be something like this though: You were involved in a head-on collision and it was deemed that you’ve become permanently injured and have no use of your arms. The physical part would be the use of your arms, but the mental and emotional part of this scenario would be the anguish of not being able to work and provide for your family ever again, or you’re not being able to ever pick up and carry around your infant child again. That mental and emotional pain is absolutely worth something as it has permanently altered your life and you cannot enjoy life the way you had preceding the accident.
Your Tampa accident attorney will work to prove these suffered damages through evidence such as:
- Medical expert testimony
- Medical records
- Pictures/Documentation of your injuries
- Proof of lost wages
- Statements from family/friends describing you pre and post-crash
Can I Get Help from An Accident Attorney Even If I Was Partly at Fault?
Sometimes being partially at fault in a car accident happens, and if you feel that is the case with your accident, you need to let your car accident attorney know from the beginning. The sooner they know they better off everyone will be because the last thing anyone wants is to be blindsided and a case to be dismissed over something like this not being told up front.
Our car accident lawyers may be able to still get you compensated, even if you’re partially at fault. In Florida, we have what’s called the comparative negligence rule. Per the law, even if you’re partially at fault, you can still recover a portion of your damages. Your claim is reduced by the percentage you’re deemed at fault for the crash. Our Tampa car accident attorneys know the way comparative negligence rules work and we’ll fight to get you as much compensation as possible.
Contact Our Car Accident Attorneys in Tampa Today
Contacting a car wreck lawyer is vital to make sure you’re taking all of the correct steps to be made whole again after your accident. You must seek medical attention within the first 14 days of the accident or you will forfeit at least $10K in coverage available to you. The quicker you choose an attorney, the better your chances of recovering damages.
If the insurance company has denied your claim, a lawsuit will have to be filed on your behalf to start the process of recovering damages. Your attorney will need certain information to do this properly. The first time you meet your car accident attorney in Tampa, make sure you bring this information with you:
- Copy of police report
- Pictures from the accident scene
- Witness contact information
- Insurance and contact info from the other driver
- Copies of all medical records/documents
- Receipts for out of pocket expenses like auto repair
If you’ve been the unfortunate victim of an automobile accident, contact our car accident lawyers today. Our consultation is always free and there are never any fees unless we win your case. We’ll be able to discuss your case and you’ll see how different things will be with an experienced Tampa car accident lawyer in your corner. We can look at the evidence and let you know what it may be worth based on our past clients with similar circumstances. Call 855-529-3366 now to get started.
We will respond as quickly as we can.
Find help anywhere, anytime.