Experience from a Harvard Law graduate you can trust, compassion and care you can count on.
Pedstrian Accident Lawyer in Tampa, FL
Each year, dozens of people are hurt or killed in the Tampa Bay area in car-pedestrian accidents. Incidents where the rules of the road are ignored and a pedestrian is hit by a vehicle are tragically common and can be life-changing.
In Tampa, in accordance with Florida law, a pedestrian is defined as merely someone on foot. Both Tampa drivers and pedestrians have the legal duty to behave safely on roads and sidewalks, but those not encased within a motor vehicle often suffer the most when accidents occur. This means victims are tasked with recovering while also dealing with huge medical costs and lost wages.
When accidents are the result of negligence or disregarding Tampa road laws, victims and families have legal options available. Dennis Hernandez & Associates can help those in Tampa seek financial compensation after a collision to cover medical bills and other damages.
GET A FREE, NO-OBLIGATION EVALUATION
There are no costs for an initial consultation and no hidden fees. If you’ve suffered a personal injury, don’t hesitate to contact us 24/7 to schedule your free case evaluation with an experienced Tampa accident attorney. Please contact us at (813) 250 0000.
Injuries Caused by Pedestrian Accidents
Drivers and pedestrians can both end up with injuries after an accident in Tampa. While primarily affecting the person impacted by a vehicle, injuries include everything from broken limbs and fractures, head and brain injuries, and even loss of life. Both parties can suffer from emotional distress, like PTSD.
If you’ve been involved in a crash in Tampa – either as a driver, passenger, or pedestrian – it’s crucial you seek medical attention immediately afterward, even if you don’t notice any external damage. Your medical bills and Tampa records can also be important parts of your legal case.
Pedestrian car accidents in Tampa are often caused by drivers ignoring safety rules and driving recklessly. Each situation is different, but common causes include speeding, driving while distracted or driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
However, there are some instances where pedestrians are at fault. These include situations where pedestrians fail to heed Tampa traffic signals or otherwise fail to use reasonable caution when walking near a road.
Liability in Pedestrian Accident Cases
Drivers are liable for driving safely around pedestrians. They are in a fast-moving, heavy vehicle and people walking are not.
Possessing a Tampa driver’s license equals an awareness of the rules of the road. Anyone with a license understands that they are responsible for driving safely. If a driver ignores these rules and causes an auto-pedestrian accident, they can be held liable for their behavior.
In a Tampa pedestrian accident, ‘contributory negligence’ essentially refers to both parties behaving negligently in a situation that leads to a crash.
For instance, even if a driver is speeding and fails to stop at a crosswalk, they may be able to make a contributory negligence defense if you didn’t cross when a signal indicated it was safe to do so. In Tampa, this means the damages you receive may be diminished.
Determining exactly what damages you may be owed in a particular case can be difficult. That’s why a Tampa pedestrian accident lawyer can help. We can help recover straightforward costs, like medical bills and property damage. We can also secure damages for emotional pain and suffering.
If you’ve had to stop working because of your injuries, contact us immediately. Our Tampa team can help you figure out precisely what your case is worth.
Why You Need a Pedestrian Accident Attorney
The Tampa legal system is complicated. Struggling with the physical, emotional, and financial tolls of an accident isn’t necessary. Our experienced team at Dennis Hernandez & Associates is here to fight for what you deserve.
We can help you understand the complexities of Tampa law and insurance, figure out how much you’re owed, and represent you in and out of the courthouse. Our team is dedicated to supporting you and your family in this difficult situation.
Consult an Experienced Attorney
Recovering after a collision is a difficult, painful process. We have experience helping Tampa victims get the compensation they need, even when the defendant tries to claim contributory negligence.
There is no need to tackle this alone. Please contact the Dennis Hernandez Tampa office if you need an experienced pedestrian injury lawyer.
After calling law enforcement and ensuring that all parties involved in an accident are medically attended to, the next steps are critical to a successful personal injury case. For vehicular accidents, we recommend following these steps:
Document the scene:
- Take as many photos as possible as soon as possible. If you don’t have a camera or smartphone handy, ask someone on the scene if you can use theirs.
- Take photos of all of the vehicles involved from several angles.
- Take photos of the area surrounding the accident, including the roadway, street signs and traffic signals, if applicable.
- Take photos of any visible injuries you or any of your passengers may have sustained.
- In addition to damage to vehicles, take photos of any property that was damaged in the accident.
- Write down the license plate numbers of all vehicles involved in the accident.
- Ask the other driver if he or she owns the car or if it is owned by someone who is not at the scene.
- Ask for the name of the insurance company that covers the other driver’s vehicle.
- Ask the responding law enforcement officer how soon the accident report will be available to you and where you must go to get it.
- Should the officer indicate that a report will not be written, ask for his or her name and badge number to be used as contact information.
Get contact details from witnesses:
- Try to get contact information from all witnesses before they leave the scene. Do not ask witnesses for statements—your personal injury attorney will contact them if needed.
- If there were no witnesses in close proximity to the accident, make note of any nearby businesses or homes and provide this information to your attorney.
After the accident:
- If you received any medical treatment, gather contact information for the hospital or emergency room where you were immediately treated, as well as from physicians and/or therapists who may have treated you in the days following the accident.
- Retain all documents in a safe place. These may include:
- The police accident report
- Insurance policies and any communications from insurance companies
- Medical bills from hospitals, doctors, pharmacies, testing facilities, etc.
- Correspondence from the other driver or any witnesses
- Receipt for repairs to property that was damaged as a result of the accident
- Pay stubs or other proof of wages that were lost as a result of the accident
Each case is as unique as the individual who has been injured in an accident, but there are some steps that are typically taken. Your accident injury case may include these and other events:
Your recovery period: This initial stage starts at the moment you are injured and lasts until your doctor states that your condition cannot be further improved in a medical setting with care provided by medical professionals. This point is referred to as maximum medical improvement (MMI). When you are at this point, any health issues you have going forward are considered to be permanent.
Submission of documents: This is when information is submitted to your insurance company, including but not limited to your medical bills and proof of lost wages.
The negotiation period: An insurance adjuster reviews all of the submitted information, then makes a settlement offer. If your Tampa personal injury lawyer determines that this offer is insufficient, a counter offer will be made.
Litigation: When an agreement cannot be reached, the case may go to trial. Keep in mind that the majority of personal injury cases are settled outside of court.
VERDICTS AND SETTLEMENTS
Even though each case is unique, Dennis Hernandez & Associates, PA strives to fully compensate every client for his or her injuries, lost wages and property damage.