Tampa & Sarasota Motorcycle Accident Attorney
Motorcycle enthusiasts agree that part of the attraction to two-wheeled vehicles is the feeling of freedom on the road. Unfortunately, the same features that make motorcycle riding enjoyable also put riders at great risk. Without the protection that an enclosed vehicle provides, motorcycle riders are much more likely to be injured or killed. Low-impact accidents that would result in only minor injuries in a car can be lethal for motorcycle riders. The number of riders in the Tampa and Sarasota areas is on the increase as well. If you or a loved one has been injured in a motorcycle collision, the expert motorcycle accident attorneys at Dennis Hernandez & Associates are here to help.
Our experienced motorcycle accident lawyers represent Tampa and Sarasota clients who have been injured in accidents involving all types of circumstances, including the following and more:
- Rear-end collisions
- U-turn accidents
- Roadway obstructions
- Defective motorcycle parts or equipment
- Head-on collisions
- DUI accidents
- Hit and run accidents
- Reckless driving
Types of Accident Injury Damages
Medical costs may be the first thing you think of when you or a loved one has been injured in a motorcycle accident, but there are many other effects that a devastating accident can have on your life. Our accident lawyers can help you seek many types of compensatory damages. Depending upon the individual circumstances of your accident, these may include:
- Future medical costs: In addition to the cost of immediate medical care following your accident, you may also be entitled to compensation for the estimated cost of medical care you may need in the future as a result of your accident, including various types of physical and vocational therapy.
- Loss of income: As with medical costs, you may be entitled to compensation for salary and wages you have lost since your accident, but income you would have been able to earn in the future if you had not had the accident.
- Property loss: If items were damaged as a result of your accident—such as vehicles and their contents—you may be able to receive reimbursement for either repair to those items or their fair market replacement value.
- Pain and suffering: You may be entitled to compensation for mental anguish, loss of enjoyment of life, emotional distress, or other such effects of your motorcycle accident.
- Loss of consortium: These damages are related to the effects that your injuries may have on the relationship with your spouse, such as loss of companionship.
- Punitive damages: Extreme carelessness or egregious conduct that contributed to your accident may result in punitive damages in addition to any compensatory damages award.
Tampa Motorcycle Accident FAQ
A: The law does not require you to have a lawyer when dealing with your insurance company, but a qualified motorcycle accident attorney can help you determine the true costs to you, both current and future. Our attorneys have experience negotiating with insurance companies and will work aggressively to protect your rights.
A: Insurance companies will act quickly in an attempt to make a settlement, perhaps even before all the facts are in. Not only should you act promptly to file a claim in order to ensure you receive all of the compensation you deserve, but there is also a personal injury statute of limitations in Florida. Although that statute gives you four years from the date the accident occurred, the longer you wait, the more challenging it may be to get compensation.
A: Seeking medical attention is the first thing you should do. Then, if you are physically able, you should move your motorcycle out of the way of traffic to make the area safe for other drivers and pedestrians. Make sure you exchange contact and insurance information with the driver or drivers of other vehicles that were involved, and also get contact information from all witnesses who stayed on the scene. Take photographs of all damage, any injuries, and the scene. Lastly, contact a personal injury attorney who will help you determine if you have a case.
A: Every person who is injured in an accident is different, and no two accidents are alike, so there is no way to accurately predict how long your case may take. Variables in personal injury cases include how long negotiations with insurance companies and their lawyers take; what kind of settlement you are seeking; whether you are open to accepting your insurance company’s offer; and more.
Checklist: 10 questions to ask a motorcycle accident attorney
Hiring a motorcycle accident attorney to handle your case is an important decision. We suggest you ask these questions of any lawyers you’re considering:
- Do you offer a free initial consultation?
- Do you work on a contingency basis?
- How long have you practiced law?
- How many years of experience do you have handling personal injury cases?
- What is your specific motorcycle accident case experience?
- Do you have trial experience?
- Who will I work with at your firm?
- How will you determine the amount of compensation to seek?
- How should I handle communications with my insurance company if I decide to have you take my case?
- How often will I receive updates on the status of my claim or case?
Contact Us For Your Free Initial Personal Injury Consultation
Our motorcycle accident attorneys in Tampa and Sarasota are ready to help you seek the compensation you deserve. Call us at 813-250-0000 in Tampa or 941-210-0000 in Sarasota now.